The New Yorker is more than flush with great critical writing. Well, this is a list of lists (some are decade-spanning, too) from those wonderful writers.
I’m trying to tell you it’s a dream come true. Get over there. Click around. Get lost for a few hours.
In fact, to encourage you, here’s my list of the ten best lists from the New Yorkers Best Of lists:
- The Best Films of the Decade, by Richard Brody
- Goings On About Town’s Best Off Broadway Theatre Shows of 2009, by Shauna Lyon
- The Best Recordings of 2009, plus annotations by Sasha Frere-Jones
- The Top Thirteen People of 2009, by Zachary Kanin
- The Five Best Ten-Best Lists, by Ben Greenman
- The Best Non-Museum Art Goings-On of 2009, by Andrea K. Scott
- Ten Great Photographs, 2009, by Vince Aletti
- Memorable Fashion Statements of the Obama Era, by Judith Thurman
- Ten Exceptional Recordings by Alex Ross
- Books of the Year, by James Wood
And that’s not even the half of it.